I’ve seen a few Christmas trees already shining through the living room windows of local houses! To be honest, mine went up on Halloween (but that’s a different story for a different day). So why not try something (possibly) different this year? Take a drive and head out to chop down your own Christmas tree. It just might become your new holiday tradition.
I’ve read from different sources that using a real tree is actually better for the environment and even good for the economy, especially if you’re supporting a Texas farm. You can find a list of Christmas tree farms throughout Texas at the Texas Christmas Tree Growers Association website.
All the Christmas tree farms I’ve listed below open right after Thanksgiving. Be sure to call ahead to verify hours and availability, as they are subject to change. You might want to get out there early so the good ones aren’t picked over.
A few things to know before you go: The farms I’ve listed do provide all the equipment necessary to choose and cut your tree, including a measuring pole, saw, and—at some farms—a wagon. Trees are priced by type and height. Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather and terrain.
Seiler’s Christmas Tree Farm
4100 Jakes Colony Rd., Seguin, TX 78155 | 830.401.4590
Open 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday; After 4:00 p.m. on Monday–Friday after Thanksgiving until trees run out.
- Trees: Virginia Pine, Loblolly Pine, Leyland Cypress, and Carolina Sapphire
- Pricing: All trees are $10 per foot, no trees below four feet (this is to preserve future tree quality), most trees are marked with the height and the price.
- Other helpful information: Wreaths, crafts, snacks, shelled and unshelled pecans are also available.
Devine Acres Farm
944 FM 2200 West, Devine, TX 78016 | 830.665.9730
Please check website and/or Facebook for updates. December 3–4, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Trees: “Hypo-allergenic Leyland Cypress and Arizona Cypress. 6–11′ trees available in our fields. We have a limited amount of 10’+ trees. Minimum size tree you can cut is 6-foot.”
- Pricing: $10 Gate Fee per person (two & under free) on Christmas tree weekends. Each household will receive a credit voucher (up to $50) toward the purchase of a tree. Examples: Two gate fees = $20 credit, four gate fees = $40 credit, seven gate fees = $50 credit. The gate fee is non-refundable should you decide not to purchase a tree. All available trees for the 2021 Christmas season are individually tagged with height and price. Prices average $15–$20 per foot, plus tax.
- Other helpful information: In addition to the tree chopping, there are plenty of family-friendly activities at Devine Acres Farm. Here’s Bridget’s post about her family’s experience at Pancakes with Santa at Devine Acres Farm.
Abrameit Tree Farm
5141 E. Pierce Street, Luling, TX 76578 | 512.468.2116
Directions: ¼ mile south of exit 632 on I-10, just past Buc-ee’s about ¼ mile south on US 183; look for signs.
Weekends through the second weekend in December or until sold out, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Call or text to check availability.
- Trees: “We have Virginia Pine choose-and-cut and precut Fraser, Noble, Nordmann, and Douglas firs.”
- Other helpful information: Wreaths and garlands are also available for purchase.
Pipe Creek Christmas Tree Farm
Located at Texas Highway 16 and Phil’s Road, Pipe Creek, TX 78063 | 210. 426.6191
Open 11:00 a.m.–5:45 p.m. daily.
- Trees: Afghan Pine, Leyland Cypress, Fraser Fir, and living Christmas trees
- Pricing: CHOOSE & CUT TREES IN THE FIELD (Afghan pine, Leyland Cypress, Arizona Cypress) approximately $10 per foot. FRASER FIR (PREMIUM PRECUT from North Carolina) kept in water & shade, starting at $95.00. LIVING CHRISTMAS TREES (In 15-gallon pots) $145.00
- Other helpful information: Free hayrides on the weekends—weather permitting. Fresh, fragrant wreaths available for purchase. Accepts cash, check, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Elgin CHRISTmas Tree Farm
120 Natures Way, Elgin, TX 78624 | 512.281.5016
Nov. 26–Dec. 10, 2021 (or as long as trees last; check Facebook for updates) Monday–Saturday: 10:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m., Sunday: 12:00–5:30 p.m. Join us for Church on the Farm Sunday, Nov. 28 or Dec. 5 at 11:00. Tree sales don’t start till noon on Sundays!
- Trees: We have choose-n-cut Virginia Pines. Unfortunately, due to a national shortage of northern trees we will not have Fraser Firs for the 2021 CHRISTmas season.
- Pricing: Minimum price for choose-n-cut trees (anything under three feet) is $25. $12 per foot (over ten feet is $15 per foot; *very few available*). Cash, check, and credit/debit cards accepted.
- Other helpful information: “Due to limited parking, hayride capacity, and facilities capacity, Elgin CHRISTmas Tree Farm is only open to those visitors who are purchasing a Christmas tree, with the exception being Tuesday Playdays. Please join us on our Tuesday Playdays if you are an individual, family, or small group wanting to come out to the farm just to have fun and enjoy the activities. $8 admission.”
Evergreen Farms Christmas Trees
242 Monkey Road, Elgin, TX 78621 | 512.281.4833
Open daily starting the day after Thanksgiving until sold out of trees. Saturdays from 10:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m., Sundays from 1:00–5:30 p.m., and weekdays from 1:00–5:30 p.m.
- Trees: A large selection of cut-your-own Virginia Pine and Leyland Cypress trees. “There is a national shortage of precut trees and shipping issues, but because of our relationships with Christmas tree farms around the country, we will have a good selection of Noble firs from Washington State and Fraser firs from North Carolina.”
- Pricing: Varies by size and type, click here to see pricing grid
- Other helpful information: One of the owners is a retired forestry professor. Great descriptions of the trees on their website. On the weekends, families can enjoy more activities like roasting marshmallows and s’mores. The site also has a nature trail, farm animals, and a gift shop.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN
Holiday Hills Christmas Tree Lots
Visit their website for one of nine San Antonio Locations.
OPENING DAY IS MONDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 2021 (the Monday before Thanksgiving). Hours at all locations are 11:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. every day EXCEPT Saturdays, which are 9:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Trees: Our trees range in size from Table Tops (three feet), all the way up to 16 feet. Fraser, Noble, Grand, Nordmann, and Douglas firs.
- Other helpful information: They also sell wreaths, garland, flocking, and fresh tree accessories.
HT and Co.
For more information call 210-854-2445 or visit their website.
- Trees: “HT & Co. is your online destination for hand-selected, fresh-cut Christmas firs, luxury seasonal décor, and elegant floral selections—delivered to your door.”
- Pricing: Trees sold out for 2021 but they do have other Christmas options (wreaths, garland, and poinsettias) available.