I’ve seen a few Christmas trees already shining through the living room windows of local houses! To be honest, mine went up on Halloween (but that’s a different story for a different day). So why not try something (possibly) different this year? Take a drive and head out to chop down your own Christmas tree. It just might become your new holiday tradition.
I’ve read from different sources that using a real tree is actually better for the environment and even good for the economy, especially if you’re supporting a Texas farm. You can find a list of Christmas tree farms throughout Texas at the Texas Christmas Tree Growers Association website.
All the Christmas tree farms I’ve listed below open right after Thanksgiving. Be sure to call ahead to verify hours and availability, as they are subject to change. You might want to get out there early so the good ones aren’t picked over.
A few things to know before you go: The farms I’ve listed provide all the equipment necessary to choose and cut your tree, including a measuring pole, saw, and—at some farms—a wagon. Trees are priced by type and height. Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather and terrain.
The Farm at Alum Creek | 1866 County Road 422, Stockdale 78160
November 25, 26, & 27, 10:00 AM- 5:00 PM
- Trees: Virginia Pines, Arizona Cypress “Blue Ice”, and Leyland Cypress
- Information: “Saws will be provided to cut trees. Only trees that are tagged are available this year. Please do not cut down a tree that doesn’t have a tag on it. Staff members will be walking around answering any questions you may have. Once your Christmas tree is cut take it to our tree processing station (near the red gate entrance) . There we will shake and bale your tree and provide twine to secure your tree to your vehicle (staff members will not be able to help with this). Trees are paid for next to the tree processing station.”
Seiler’s Christmas Tree Farm | 4100 Jakes Colony Rd., Seguin, TX 78155
Call for more information: 830.401.4590
- Trees: Virginia Pine, Loblolly Pine, Leyland Cypress, and Carolina Sapphire
- Pricing: All trees are $10 per foot, no trees below four feet (this is to preserve future tree quality), and most trees are marked with the height and the price.
- Other helpful information: Wreaths, crafts, snacks, and shelled and unshelled pecans are also available.
Devine Acres Farm | 944 FM 2200 West, Devine, TX 78016 | 830.665.9730
November 25–27, December 2–4, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Trees: “Hypo-allergenic Leyland Cypress and Arizona Cypress. 6–11′ trees available in our fields. We have a limited amount of 10’+ trees. Minimum size tree you can cut is 6-foot.”
- Pricing: $10 Gate Fee per person (two & under free) on Christmas tree weekends. Each household will receive a credit voucher (up to $50) toward the purchase of a tree. Examples: Two gate fees = $20 credit, four gate fees = $40 credit, seven gate fees = $50 credit. The gate fee is non-refundable should you decide not to purchase a tree. Prices average $15–$20 per foot, plus tax.
- Other helpful information: In addition to the tree chopping, there are plenty of family-friendly activities at Devine Acres Farm. Don’t forget to get your tickets to enjoy Pancakes with Santa at Devine Acres Farm.
Abrameit Tree Farm | 5141 E. Pierce Street, Luling, TX 76578 | 512.468.2116
Directions: ¼ mile south of exit 632 on I-10, just past Buc-ee’s about ¼ mile south on US 183; look for signs.
Opens the Saturday after Thanksgiving through the second weekend in December or until sold out, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Call or text to check availability: 512-468-2116.
- Trees: “We have Virginia Pine choose-and-cut.”
- Other helpful information: Wreaths are also available for purchase.
Pipe Creek Christmas Tree Farm | Located at Texas Highway 16 and Phil’s Road, Pipe Creek, TX 78063 | 210. 426.6191 | [email protected]
Opens November 21, 2022. Open 11:00 a.m.–5:45 p.m. daily (except closed on Thanksgiving day) until sold out—contact the farm to check availability.
- Trees: Afghan Pine, Leyland Cypress, Fraser Fir, and living Christmas trees
- Pricing: Choose and cut trees in the field (Afghan pine, Leyland Cypress, Arizona Cypress) approximately $10 per foot. Fraser Fir (PREMIUM PRECUT from North Carolina) kept in water & shade, starting at $95. Living Christmas trees (In 15-gallon pots) $145
- Other helpful information: Free hayrides on the weekends—weather permitting. Fresh, fragrant wreaths available for purchase. Accepts cash, check, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Elgin CHRISTmas Tree Farm | 120 Natures Way, Elgin, TX 78624 | 512.281.5016
November 25–December 9, 2022 (or as long as trees last; check Facebook for updates), Monday–Saturday: 10:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.; Sunday: 12:00–5:30 p.m. Join for Church on the Farm Sunday, November 27 or December 4 at 11:00. Tree sales don’t start till noon on Sundays!
- Trees: We have choose-n-cut Virginia Pines and Leyland Cypress.
- Pricing: Minimum price for choose-n-cut trees (anything under three feet) is $30. Cash, check, and credit/debit cards accepted.
- Other helpful information: “Due to limited parking, hayride capacity, and facilities capacity, Elgin CHRISTmas Tree Farm is only open to those visitors who are purchasing a Christmas tree.”
Evergreen Farms Christmas Trees | 242 Monkey Road, Elgin, TX 78621 | 512.281.4833
Open daily starting the day after Thanksgiving until sold out of trees. Saturdays from 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Sundays from 1:00–5:00 p.m., and weekdays from 1:00–5:00 p.m.
- Trees: A large selection of cut-your-own Virginia Pine and Leyland Cypress trees
- Pricing: Varies by size and type, click here to see pricing grid
- Other helpful information: One of the owners is a retired forestry professor. Great descriptions of the trees on their website. On the weekends, families can enjoy more activities like roasting marshmallows and s’mores. The site also has a nature trail, farm animals, and a gift shop.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN
Holiday Hills Christmas Tree Lots
Visit their website for one of nine San Antonio Locations.
Opening Thanksgiving week. Hours at all locations are 11:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. every day EXCEPT Saturdays, which are 9:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
- Trees: Our trees range in size from Table Tops (three feet), all the way up to 16 feet. Fraser, Noble, Grand, Nordmann, and Douglas firs.
- Other helpful information: They also sell wreaths, garland, flocking, and fresh tree accessories.
HT and Co.
For more information call 210-854-2445 or visit their website.
- Trees: “HT & Co. is your online destination for hand-selected, fresh-cut Christmas firs, luxury seasonal décor, and elegant floral selections—delivered to your door.”
- Other helpful information: Other Christmas options (wreaths, garland, and poinsettias) available.