There are a LOT of anecdotes out there about public schools. Some good, some not so good. As a former teacher and dyslexia therapist, and current educational advocate, I completely understand the frustration that many parents feel when it comes to certain schools and school districts.
I can also confidently say that many of these frustrations are genuinely shared by the school’s employees – and are very often the result of something related to public school funding. Understanding the way public schools are funded can be complicated and confusing, but I am starting to believe it is a necessary tool that must be more widely understood in our communities.
Recently, I heard our principal talking about an organization called RootEd. I was intrigued, and wanted to learn more about it. RootEd is a community-driven organization and has emerged as a powerful force in revitalizing the city’s public education system. I wanted to find out what RootEd actually is, its impact on local public schools, and the ways parents can get involved; as well as thinking about why families should strongly consider choosing their local public elementary as the first choice for their children’s education.
RootEd (www.proudlyrooted.com) is more than just a website: it’s a movement that seeks to nurture strong connections between schools, families, and communities. By providing a platform for open dialogue and collaboration, RootEd aims to improve San Antonio’s public schools from their grassroots, up.
According to their website, these are just some of the things RootEd aims to do:
- Promoting our neighborhood schools through storytelling and marketing
- Dispelling myths about public schools through productive conversations, as well as introducing parents to their neighborhood schools
- Ensuring that parents understand the truth about public school funding, including what it means to them personally and within their community
- Educating the public on pro-public education legislation and candidates
- Providing parents with a search option for information on neighborhood schools by using the hashtag #RootEdNameOfSchool
Cultivating a Positive Impact on Public Schools
RootEd is instrumental in creating a positive impact on local public schools in San Antonio. Through its various initiatives, the platform addresses critical areas of educational development and community engagement, especially:
- Parental Involvement: RootEd encourages parents to play an active role in their children’s education. The platform provides resources, information, and opportunities for parents to engage with their child’s school activities, participate in committees, and collaborate on projects that enhance the overall learning environment.
- Community Partnerships: The platform fosters partnerships between schools and the wider community. By connecting schools with local businesses, organizations, and individuals, RootEd helps create valuable opportunities, sponsorships, and support networks that benefit both students and educators.
- Advocacy and Awareness: RootEd serves as a platform for advocating for educational policies that improve the quality of public education in San Antonio. By raising awareness about the challenges and opportunities within the education system, the platform empowers parents and communities to drive positive change.
Engaging Parents for a Brighter Future
Parents have a pivotal role in the success of ProudlyRooted.com’s mission. Here’s how parents can get involved:
- Joining Parent-Teacher Associations (PTA): PTAs provide a platform for parents to actively participate in decision-making processes, contribute ideas, and support school events and initiatives.
- Attending Workshops and Events: RootEd organizes workshops, seminars, and events that educate parents about educational policies, best practices, and ways to support their child’s learning journey.
- Volunteering: Parents can volunteer their time and skills to assist in various school activities, helping to create a vibrant and engaging learning environment for students.
- Advocating for Change: By staying informed about educational issues and advocating for positive changes, parents can influence policies that enhance the quality of education in local public schools.
The Power of Choosing Local Public Elementary Schools
A major focus of the mission of RootEd is that families should seriously consider making their local public elementary school their first choice for their children’s education. Here’s why:
- Community Support: Local public elementary schools foster a strong sense of community, allowing children to build lasting friendships and connections with neighbors and peers.
- Diverse Learning Environment: Public schools welcome students from diverse backgrounds, exposing children to a variety of perspectives and cultures.
- Collective Empowerment: By supporting local public schools through ProudlyRooted.com, families contribute to the collective empowerment of educators, parents, and communities in driving positive change.
- Preparation for the Real World: Engaging with local public elementary schools exposes children to the richness and diversity of their community, preparing them for success in a globally connected world.
To conclude, RootEd’s commitment to strengthening San Antonio’s public schools is creating a brighter future for the city’s children. By actively participating in this community-driven movement, parents and communities are making a significant impact on both the quality of education and the overall well-being of students. Many of us feel unable to trust the public school system, but are also unsure of where to get more information about making impactful changes within them. I am encouraged about RootEd’s mission and hope others will be, too!