I recently visited the Shops at Rivercenter with my family. We went there to visit LEGOLAND®, but as we entered the mall, we were happy to see it thriving. It was crowded and they had added more activities since the last time we visited before the pandemic.
Since Macy’s closed its doors at the downtown mall in early 2021, I didn’t know what to expect during this recent visit, but we had tons of fun and spent the entire afternoon there! Here are some things to do and discover while you visit the Shops at Rivercenter:
- Get active at LiggettVille: This adventure center opened at the beginning of 2022 and includes the Sky Trail® + Sky Rail®, two levels of fun with different obstacles, perfect for adults and big kids. But little ones can also join the fun with Sky Tykes®, in which kids 48” and under can explore a ropes course at a more comfortable height. And if you still have energy for something else, Clip ‘n Climb® offers climbing walls with different activities.
- Enjoy a movie at the AMC 11 or AMC Alamo IMAX: See a new release or enjoy Alamo: The Price of Freedom on IMAX.
- Enjoy a nice lunch at one of the restaurants in the mall: From the Brazilian steakhouse Fogo de Chao, to the dining and playing experience at Dave & Buster’s, as well as some other popular restaurants such as Landshark Bar & Grill, Margaritaville, Morton’s Steakhouse, and Yard House, there is something for every taste.
- Buy San Antonio merchandise: If you are coming from out of town or just want to buy a San Antonio souvenir, the “Life in Alamo City” store is a must! You can find merchandise like shirts and magnets, but also pottery and decor.
- Have an ice cream at Marble Slab Creamery: And the best part is that you can enjoy it while looking out at the River Walk!
- Visit Pokemania—an anime store: My son loves Pokémon and when we saw the name of this store, we immediately started making our way there. We weren’t able to find a lot of Pokémon merchandise, but they have anime products as well as Japanese food and drinks.
- Hop on the Animal Tour: These huge stuffed animals on wheels are motorized, easy to maneuver, and so much fun for the kids to ride through the mall!
- Make it a sweet moment at one of the candy stores: You can enjoy It’Sugar, CandyVerse, and Sugar Factory.
- Visit Build-A-Bear Workshop: This popular retailer can also be found at Shops at Rivercenter. You can experience the fun of making your own teddy bear or other stuffed animal.
- Shop!: The mall has plenty of shops to find whatever you want!
- Explore the underwater world at SEA LIFE San Antonio Aquarium: A walk-through tunnel and ten interactive zones are part of this aquarium, which opened in May 2021.
- Build something at LEGOLAND® Discovery Center: I know what you’re thinking. At the beginning of this post I mentioned that I was going to list everything you can do at the Shops at Rivercenter besides visiting LEGOLAND®, but if you are already there you won’t want to miss out on the fun of this place! Enjoy ten LEGO® play zones, rides, a 4D cinema, and MINILAND® San Antonio.
Also, if you are already downtown you can always stop by the Alamo (entrance is free, but a timed reservation is required), stroll the River Walk, enjoy the Yanaguana Garden, or even ride in a horse-drawn carriage. There is so much to do in San Antonio!