This post is brought to you by Bolner’s Fiesta Spices.
The cooler weather and changing of the leaves allow us to shift our mindsets in preparation for the upcoming holiday. There has been enough change this year to leave our plates full well into the next year, so why not cut yourself a break this Thanksgiving. Do not waste time re-inventing time honored and well-loved culinary favorites. Instead, give them a makeover with ingredients you most likely use for other meals. The ease, welcoming flavors, and versatility of our very own Bolner’s Fiesta Spices used in the recipes featured below will make even the pickiest eater beg for seconds.
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
The addition of the chopped garlic in oil turns ordinary mashed potatoes into a household must have:
- Russet potatoes, peeled, cubed, and boiled in salted water until soft.
- Drain and add salt, Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Coarse Ground Black Pepper, ½ stick butter and 1 Cup milk or heavy cream, 1 Tbsp Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Chopped Garlic in Oil.
- Mash with a fork or whip using a mixer for a smoother texture.
- Top with another pat of butter and a sprinkle of chopped parsley or chives.
Not Your Average Sweet Potato Casserole
Move your morning toast aside and let this spice take center stage for a lunch or dinner side dish. Watch your children’s eyes light up as you pull that bottle of sugar and cinnamon from the shelf! If yours are anything like mine, then they know there is some serious sweetness coming their way!
- We used 5-6 medium size sweet potatoes and let them bake at 400° for an hour or so or until soft. Allow time to cool and peel.
- ½ stick butter
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of same orange
- ¼ tsp Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Nutmeg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Sugar and Cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- Mix until smooth, top with marshmallows (or not) and bake at 350° for 30 min.
Bacon-Bundled Green Beans (with Veggie Sprinkle)
Your greens (or any other vegetable for that matter) should not take a backseat this Thanksgiving. If this part of the menu causes a headache for you, then you just haven’t found the right topping! Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Veggie Sprinkle seasoning is kept on hand to make those uninteresting vegetables interesting! So in this case, we let green beans have a turn:
- Blanch green beans in boiling water for 3-4 min. This simple cooking technique will keep the color in the green beans and prohibit them from getting soggy.
- Remove from boiling water and immediately plunge into an ice bath.
- Cut those beautiful bacon strips in half.
- Roll 8-10 green beans up in ½ strip bacon and lay seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Veggie Sprinkle and bake at 400° until bacon is fully cooked and voila! A delicious bundle of a colorful vegetable that will surely dress up your plate!
Smoked Turkey (Seasoned With Fajita Seasoning)
Yes, you read that right mamas. Fajita seasoning ON a turkey. Stay with me here as I plead my case for using what you have. Fajita seasoning is one of our “go-to” spices and is worth its weight in gold when it comes to making a dish stand out, whether it be main or side. For this 13-pound bird, we rubbed it down with butter and then seasoned liberally with Bolner’s Fiesta Brand Fajita Seasoning before refrigerating overnight.
We cooked this bird on our charcoal smoker at 300° for about 3 ½ hours. We like a slightly higher temp and cook time with a little crispier skin, but if low and slow is your method, that works too! Keep an ever so watchful eye on that internal temp; you don’t want it sitting between 40-135 degrees for too long or it becomes a food safety concern. And you for sure do not want guests getting sick on your holiday hostess resume. Raise the temperature to over 140° and then let that bird smoke. The Bolners love a good combo of charcoal and oak but use whatever tickles your feathers.
Lucky for you and many others who appreciate quality when it comes to meals, Bolner’s Fiesta Spices is here to bring freshness and authentic flavors to your Thanksgiving gathering. This is just a preview of the good things that stem from a Bolner holiday. You can bring the traditions and flavors, old time favorites, and new ideas straight into your kitchen by following them on Instagram at @fiestaspices and let the spices arrive at your doorstep by ordering online here. Check out these essential spices for all your holiday cooking needs.
From the Bolners’ dinner table to yours, may you stay spicy and thankful this season!